May 13, 2007

I Remember...

I remember riding my horse, Lady-M bareback, losing myself in the imaginations of an 11 year old boy. I’m a cowboy! YEE-Hawwww! Until Giddey-up showed me what real cowboys face…

I remember standing, solemnly watching as my mother’s brown Toyota Celica’s tires swirled up dirt cyclones as she drove the expanse of our dusty gravel driveway, and I prayed she’d return from work soon…

I remember huddled in a crevice in her room, how my sister stared at me with those Disney eyes, as we tried not to listen to my mothers harrowing cries…

I remember being rewarded by my father for my heroism as I sailed through the air, my leaf like body batted by his branch coming to a dead rest as my fragile back puckered a whole in the drywall of the master’s bedroom…

I remember my mother packing…

I remember watching my mother’s tears as we tried unsuccessfully to stab open a can of soup with a knife, the second time I saw her cry, since newly separated from my father, we still didn’t own a can opener…

I remember the sweet taste of steer meat, ketchup and tomatoes, American and Swiss cheese on my burger; and I remember the first time my mother cooked up store bought beef…and I remember becoming a vegetarian…

I remember not having to go to a park to see leafy trees and green grass, not worrying about arriving early enough to get a spot or throwing a football over broken bottle glass…

I remember when shiny new grills meant a burnt burger stuck to the barbecue…

I remember as a little black boy in predominately suburban Midwest Wisconsin when Yo! MTV raps meant Heavy D was Mount Vernon, Krs-One the Bronx; in fact I remember when the only BX I knew had an M in the middle, and usually left my child ashy legs with severely skinned shins and bruised knees…

I remember when driving south through Chicago, radio stations played songs about fighting the power, struggles with the cops, and breaking free of restrictive chains, instead of snap rapping, leaning and shaking and how low those chains hang, when Self Destruction gave way to self-indulgence and We Are The World became We Fly High, …ballin’…

I remember elementary school art class when the teacher actually told the class to use peach for people’s skin, when my burnt sienna didn’t fit in…

I remember when wireless simply meant cordless, broadband was the piece of purple rubber holding together broccoli stalks I chased and popped my sister with, and cable, cable was the wire that connected the antennae to our uhf/vhf TV. I remember being the remote control; in fact, I kinda remember rabbit-ears, tin-foil and locking pliers…

I remember when the Olsen twins were babies on Full House, Michael J. Fox only attended political rallies on his fictional sitcom and both Mr. and Mrs. Superman hadn’t met up with kryptonite…

I remember when the only Elmo I knew was the name of a fire in a movie about some high school kids doing detention, and there were barely six, six resident’s on Sesame Street. Ah Ah Ah…

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5/17/2007

    yea I mean I remember......
    When all dat mattered was Family Matters
    But the latter came second to my 7 of heavens
    The TV blessing (thank u Issaka)of having 100 channels was mere nessecities
    Only mind numbing, rangers could ever calm me down
    I'd luv 2 see
    TMNT
    Weekly shows on Saturdai on my Kid'z block
    B4 MTV changed its routine 2 reality shows dat we all knew waz scripted
    But neva took it into consideration wen we were shocked during fight scenes
    I'd used 2 c busy streets, wen BIG waz BIG, n explicts voices shouting
    F**K da police wen 5-0 was in sight
    Wen Undertaker was 5-0
    Infamous Inferno match wit Kane
    Triple H actually was strong den
    But wasn't important
    Becuase we neva remember his name
    But we readii for him 2 say
    SUX IT!
    Wen Celebrities scandals happened like nothing
    Clinton was always a pimp
    But this time we actually caught him
    But I remember 2
    Wen my news wasn't bloodshed on da ova half of my globe
    My happiness was led by "I luv u"
    or a kiss on mah boo boo
    The meaning of a shot was a physical in the hospitial
    yes I remember.....
    I styll remember......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan u r supposed to comment on mr.c poem not write one of your own. lmao
    but i like

    ReplyDelete