Feb 6, 2006

Impassioned Inappropriateness

Impassioned inappropriateness, misdirected anger, flat out frustration...I embodied these traits today at the end of our semi-final match. I was indeed frustrated, but am also grown enough to know that what transpired as a result of my frustrations was unnecessary, unprofessional, unlike me, and probably confusing to many, myself included.

I would like to apologize, and reiterate that I meant no disrespect to the competition (who wrote and prepared their own amazing works of art,) the judges (who judged to the best of their ability,) the poet/coaches (who I admire greatly for the pride in their own craft that they instill within these kids,) or the staffs of either school (who are generally cooperative and set aside any animosity stemming from rearranging their rooms etc…) Yet with that said I'd like to explain. This is not an excuse, because I know the hang-up was wrong, but I would like to state that after weeks, and months, and years of helping these students actualize their potential, I couldn’t sit by and watch them get punished for taking risks with their works. I don’t hesitate to say that I love these students; that I’m there when they need me to be; that I respect what they do; that I am their worst critic and their biggest (non-family) supporter, which is why when I saw them not receiving praise worthy of their talents, I became incensed. It is true that judging is a subjective task, but these kids have absorbed the performances of others, both professional and amateur and have dutifully studied the rubrics and know that they were better than their scores reflected today. As do I.

Again, this is not to take away from what the students and teachers at (…) did to prepare for this competition. They performed admirably, in the face of older, and perhaps more experienced students. We certainly remember what that feels like from our fledgling beginnings, but we grew as a result of our defeat, and have become better poets as a result. I have no doubt your own writing, performing and passion will continue to grow as well.

All in all, my students were standing and gathering to both congratulate you on a fine competition, and wish you the best in the spring slam. It was I alone who controlled the remote and disconnected the call prematurely. This was in no way directed at you, nor should it be misconstrued as such, I was simply frustrated with what I felt was inconsistency in judging. My own students looked as confused as I’m sure most of you felt, and I have been verbally chastised by them as well as frowned upon by my peers. My apologies and no disrespect.

Mr. Craig L. Moss

2 comments:

  1. Wow Mr.Craig, Wayne was right, this was touching. And i guess we're all sorry, too. We were all relieved after we heard which team moved on to the finals(145 TIGERS, YEAH!!!). However, none of us can deny the simple yet guilty truth that just a few seconds before we heard the results that we were pissed off at our opponents, pissed off at the "innocent" judges, and pissed of at our unreasonable scores. On behalf of the team, we're sorry too, i think we would have hung up as well. But i also have to say we had a right to be pissed off. We wrote and selected and spoke and perfected these masterpieces, also known as our poems. If we would have lost by 0.1 again i have to say that karma didn't do its muthafuck*ng job.

    P.S. Judges in the semifinals giving me a 29.9, get the fu*k outta here. I got straight tens and a big a*s 30 today! How you like them apples, huh?
    BUT seriously, how you like em?

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh... yeah, what he said
    I mean we did not deserve the scores we got that day and I belive although we were a bit angry, we're sorry. sorry for being unprofessional poets in an unprofessional zone, we must always keep our heads up, always keep our eyes focused, and always have our fingers ready on the trigger to recite.

    ReplyDelete