Mar 8, 2006

Don't we all love this stage? This microphone, this spotlight...
Doing our thing, performing our poems
We may be nervous as hell, but here we all stand with a story to tell
So many ideas in this 13 year old middleschool mind of mine
I wanna write about the intensity we create and the words we have fun with
I wanna write about these metaphors and rhymes we write sometimes, stabbing us slowly in the soul, with a pen full of ink, full of meaning
I wanna write about these similes wrapping me in a warm blanket, handing me a hot cup of coco after i shovel snow
I wanna write about how 30 seconds ago my lungs were heaving, having trouble breathing and how it felt like there was a championship wrestling match going on in my belly, about how i didn't have to open my fists to know my palms were sweaty
You may not see them now, but my kneecaps are shaking up and down like one of them back massagers from the Sharper Image
I wanna write about these other poets writing, reading, reciting, performing masterpieces we place into a masterpuzzle
And my God, to be both impressed and intimidated by these poets
I've heard poems about politics, love, rape, hate, death of their loved ones, and death wished upon those they hated...
Don't we all love this stage? This microphone, this spotlight...
Doing our thing, performing our poems
We may be nervous as hell, but here we all stand with a story to tell

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/09/2006

    Mauricio you may be ready for the big slam
    It may be already late because it is tomorrow but still. Your are truly a metaphorical genius everytime. Good luck I'll be there to watch, hopefully.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. yo I really wanna see this poem performed up there. this was one of the greats, i hope i can make it

    ReplyDelete
  3. For you guys' sake, i hope it's one of the greats. And ya better be there ya fu*kers. Whether i make the team or not, ya will always be MY team, and it'll be pretty f*cked up if i didn't have the people i been working with so successfully for the past two years not there tomorrow to support me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mauricio,it's becoming very clear that you love performing and writing poems, everyone knows it. anyone that has watched you perform over the years will be convinced that your love for poetry has grown. this poem was great just like all the others, yeah this poem is way shorter than the others,
    but you send out the same message that of a longer poem.this poem has a lot of imagery,creativity, and heart put into it. it would have been great for you to make the team and hear you perform this poem

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4/06/2006

    Mauricio, this was great, especially those last couple lines.

    ReplyDelete