Nov 17, 2005

Ranting and Raving...

I don't normally post here, unless it's feedback for you all, but after today's session, I very much felt like some public "airing out" is necessary. First, to all you poets, you know I expect only the best from you. You know I've been in your corner for a few years now, and I look out for you guys. All the extra trips, the staying late after school, chatting at every lunch period; I've very rarely said no to you guys, and with good reason. I’ll try to keep this as short as I can, or as succinct I should say, but I think after today’s session and the follow up performance/demonstration we left not quite understanding each other’s point’s of view. First, please don’t apologize. Mauricio, you know I haven’t edited anything anyone has written here, but I did take down your last post. Nothing in what Frank or I said was intended to evoke any feelings of doubt or low self image. What we say to you all, whether in group sessions, or face to face one on one is always intended to stimulate and motivate, and to show how much potential we both/all believe you ALL possess, and to simply focus what you already have at your disposal. You are ALL so talented, and your world views are expanding in ways and in directions I know I wasn’t viewing at your age. We often talk about how others find their motivation; how they craft the words they come up with, how they know so much. The sad fact is that you spend so much time trying to live up to someone else’s standards, trying to write like others write, trying to perform like professionals, and others perform, that you seem to lose sight of yourselves. You’ve often overlooked your own talents. Focus, concentration, vivid description, attention to detail, vocal tone, emotional tone, we could go on with hints, tips and strategies forever – but as Edwin pointed out to me after our session today (he’s working on a piece about this as well…) this is the first endeavor he hasn’t been able to approach systematically. There are no equations, there’s no formulaic approach, no concrete techniques he could master or research to be able to do this. What you have, you have, and you can make it more, enhance it, spice it up – or you can be happy and content, comfortable with what you’re capable of at this point. There’s never any pressure on you do more than you are ready for, or to attempt something you’re uncomfortable with, but even in saying that you all know you’ve seen each other take certain risks with your works, and have seen each other have wholly effective days, and ineffectual ones as well. I don’t want to ramble, so in closing – and we can discuss further if you like - just don’t lose sight of what makes your work your own; keep it fresh, and keep doing what’s earned you the recognition you so deserve. Talent is awesome, but you can only be as talented as you allow yourselves to become.

No comments:

Post a Comment